Soil Nail Walls in Denver
Strength & Stability for Landslides, Cut Slopes, & Deep Excavations in Colorado and Texas
Soil nail walls are an incredibly common and trusted retaining wall solution used across the U.S. As a retaining wall contractor in Denver, we have the privilege of installing and repairing soil nail walls for countless projects with great success. The simple but effective design of soil nail walls allows for quick installation, reliable performance, and reduced cost compared to other systems.
To learn more about soil nail wall construction in Denver, contact us at (303) 806-8160 today!
The Composition and Performance of Soil Nail Walls
Soil nail walls consist of steel reinforcing bars (nails) that are installed and grouted over a regular pattern to create soil that acts as a coherent mass. This section of soil will have improved shear strength and be more stable. There will also be a temporary or permanent facing, depending on the project specifications. This reinforced soil mass provides stability for landslides, cut slopes, and deep excavations.
- Provide temporary and permanent earth retention systems for deep excavations typically in residual soils and weathered bedrock.
- Create permanent retaining walls, stabilizing slopes, and landslides.
- Offer temporary shoring during the repair of an existing wall.
- Stabilize vertical cuts in front of existing bridge abutments during highway widening operations.
Uses for Soil Nail Walls in Denver
For decades, soil nail walls have been an ever-present fixture of our nation’s construction and infrastructure programs.
- Road widening, excavations, repair, and reconstruction,
- Temporary excavation shoring
- Slope stabilization
- Repair of current retaining walls/structures
- Bridge abutment
The Soil Nail Wall Construction Process
Soil nail wall construction is a relatively fast and simple process. It’s an excellent choice to guard against slope failures. The process begins with planning and an assessment of the soil to ensure it is suitable for the soil nail wall. Soils with too little cohesion are often not recommended for soil nail walls.
Once the potential site has been assessed, excavated, and supported (if necessary), our Denver rentaining wall contractor will then drill a hole into the soil and installs the first row of nails. The nails are then grouted, a strip drain is installed, and shotcrete is applied to that section of nails.
This process is repeated until the entire designated area has been finished, after which a final facing is constructed. Given how simple the process is, it is a very quick and effective way to stabilize the soil.
The Benefits of Soil Nail Walls
- Less disruptive to traffic and the environment
- Irregular shapes can be used
- Can be used in new construction
- Minimum shoring required
- Relatively quick installation compared to ground anchor walls
- Good for sites with remote access
- Can be easily adjusted to account for obstructions
- Less space and right-of-way requirements
Contact Our Soil Nail Wall Construction Experts in Denver
Soil nail walls are an economical and easily-installed solution for shoring and soil retention. Contact our retaining wall contractors in Colorado or Texas today to begin planning your own soil nail wall construction!